HARTING makes the case for virtualisation in manufacturing and IIoT
06 June 2016
HARTING has published two new ‘whitepapers’ for businesses planning to implement ‘Industry 4.0’ methods and ‘Industrial Internet of Things’ networks
The first paper, by Dr Karsten Walther and Dr Jan Regtmeir, makes the case for virtualisation using Linux Containers. The second defines the practical uses of Linux Containers and describes how to implement the technique using HARTING’s MICA (Modular Industry Computing Architecture).
Gavin Stoppel, Product and Applications Manager at HARTING Ltd., said; “Companies deploying large scale automation solutions using ‘Industrial Internet of Things’ networks and distributed control systems need this type of device. Ruggedised computers are a key element in delivery of Industry 4.0. MICA provides both the logical architecture and an industrial standard, ready-to-use hardware platform. These whitepapers argue the case for virtualisation in manufacturing and outline HARTING’s approach to delivering this vision.”
Unlike other devices designed to run Linux Containers, MICA hardware is a fully configured device, with a range of input and output options, and an industrial standard ruggedised case. It also has built-in security and a range of power sources, such as Power over Ethernet (PoE), allowing great flexibility in its deployment and implementation.
Benefits of virtualisation include:
• Cost savings through virtualisation of servers and computers in production environments
• Security of investment through modular upgradability of existing equipment
• Time savings through easy integration
• Reduced overhead through user-selectable programming language
Sample application areas
• RFID readers
• Cloud gateways
• Production control systems
• SAP integration down to production equipment level
• PLC Orchestration
• AI, neural network or fuzzy logic controllers
• Predictive analytics systems
To download HARTING’s whitepapers on virtualisation in manufacturing, please click here http://www.harting.co.uk/MICA/whitepaper
Contact Details and Archive...