LEGO comes to life with new tool kit to teach kids coding
06 January 2017
LEGO play has been taken to the next level with the LEGO BOOST Creative Toolbox that lets makers build and code interactive, motorised robots, models and creations.
At CES 2017 LEGO unveiled the ultimate maker kit for young engineers. LEGO BOOST is a creative toolbox that can be used to breathe life into existing LEGO models and teaching children the basics of coding.
Download the free tablet app to your device and follow the step-by-step instructions to build and code any of the five multifunctional models. Experience Vernie the Robot - a moving and talking robot; the M.T.R.4 (Multi-Tooled Rover 4) - a robust, versatile rover with four different tool attachments including a spring-loaded shooter; the Guitar4000 - a musical instrument with pitch bend and sound effects; Frankie the Cat - an interactive pet that plays, purrs and expresses its mood; or the AutoBuilder - an automated production line that really builds miniature LEGO models!
Bring creations to life with the app’s intuitive, icon-based coding interface and complete an array of exciting activities designed for each model. The set also includes a playmat for use with specific activities, and a LEGO BOOST wall poster.
Build and code interactive, motorised robots, models and creations with distance, colour and tilt sensor technologies.
• Includes over 840 LEGO pieces, plus a LEGO Move Hub, interactive motor and a colour & distance sensor.
• Move Hub features Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) connectivity, two encoded motors, activation button, internal tilt sensor and a light.
• Interactive motor is an encoded motor.
• Colour & distance sensor detects distance, motion and colour, and can also function as a light.
• Check out the cool white, orange and blue colour scheme.
• Rotate Vernie’s head to activate its shoulder-mounted spring-loaded shooter.
• Build the M.T.R.4 (Multi-Tooled Rover 4) and try out the different tool and customisation attachments to prepare the vehicle for an array of exciting activities.
• Learn how to play a song and rock out with the Guitar4000.
• Look after your own pet with Frankie the Cat. Be sure to feed it the right food - or it might get upset!
• Construct, code and operate the AutoBuilder to produce real miniature LEGO models.
• Build and code robots and models, and complete exciting activities with the playmat and intuitive LEGO BOOST app, available for iOS and Android tablet devices.
• Easy-to-use intuitive software with icon-based drag-and-drop coding interface.
• Building instructions for all five models are included with the free LEGO BOOST app.
• Vernie the robot stands over 10” (27cm) tall.
• M.T.R.4 (Multi-Tooled Rover 4) measures over 4” (12cm) high, 9” (23cm) long and 5” (14cm) wide.
• Guitar4000 measures over 1” (5cm) high, 16” (42cm) long and 5” (15cm) wide.
• Frankie the Cat stands over 6” (17cm) tall.
• The AutoBuilder measures over 10” (27cm) high, 7” (19cm) long and 6” (16cm) wide.
LEGO BOOST will be released in August 2017.