Customised drive control system for Non Destructive Test Equipment system
07 April 2017
Non Destructive Test Equipment (NDT) is used extensively to analyse and measure for defect-free high precision components and fabrications in a wide range of industries where manufacturers pursue the highest degrees of component integrity and reliability.
Precision Acoustics approached LG Motion to design and manufacture a very specific drive and control system for their latest generation of ultrasonic scanning and measuring equipment for an NDT system.
The high performance scanning system developed by Precision Acoustics requires ultra-fast precision controlled scanning speeds which therefore calls for an extremely exacting drive system specification which LG Motion was able to meet.
Drive system specification
The equipment consists of an XYZ Linear Servo & Stepper System, mounted on a frame consisting of two linear servo motors and one stepper driven vertical axis.
• Both X and Y axes are coupled to a linear bearing assembly with Duralloy coating whilst the Z axis has a standard LG series linear slide assembly.
• Each axis is fitted with a 0.001mm resolution linear encoder along its length.
• The XYZ assembly will typically meet or exceed a specification of:
Positional accuracy: <0.05mm over length of travel
Linear repeatability: <0.001mm, uni-directional
Linear encoders: 0.001mm resolution, magnetic
• The working speed of the Y axis is up to 800mm/second and the X axis 00mm/second.
• Each linear axis is fitted with 0.001mm resolution magnetic encoders.
• All slides are fitted with end of travel limits.
Contact Details and Archive...