No need for a pilot’s license to fly this all-electric aircraft!
19 June 2018
Flyer is Kitty Hawk’s first personal flying vehicle and is the first step to make flying part of everyday life, especially for those without a pilot's license.
Flyer is designed to be easy to fly and flown for recreational purposes over water and uncongested areas. In just a couple of hours, you can experience the freedom and exhilaration of flight! Flyer maintains an altitude of 3 metres/10 feet for the first riders’ flights. Kitty Hawk have adjusted the flight control system to limit the speed to 20mph, also for first riders' flights.
Flyer creates thrust through all-electric motors that are significantly quieter than any fossil fuel based equivalent. When Flyer is in the air, depending on your distance, it will sound like a lawnmower (50ft) or a loud conversation (250ft).
In the US, Flyer operates under FAA CFR Part 103 - Ultralight. FAA does not require aircraft registration or pilot certification though flight training is highly encouraged. Ultralights may only be flown over uncongested areas.
Facts & Figures:
• Product Name: Flyer
• Type of Machine: Personal aircraft
• Power: All-electric
• Capacity: Designed for one participant
• Height Limit: Operates between 3-10 ft off the surface of water
• Wingspan: 8’ x 13’
• Vertical take-off and landing: Powered by 10 independent lift fans
• Battery Life: Battery life will depend on participant weight, environmental factors, and forward speed.
• Flight time: 12-20 minutes (at 20 mph)
• Regulation: Part 103 Ultralight