Fibre optical terminus system
27 May 2008
Molex and Polymicro Technologies, a subsidiary of Molex, have announced that Molex LumaCore-based interconnects can incorporate Polymicro’s large core, optical fibres. This new capability ensures that optical system designers now have an ideal way of connecting large core optical fibres used for data, sensing and optical power transmission.
“By adding the capability to terminate Polymicro Technologies’ large core, optical fibres with core sizes up to 800µm in the LumaCore line, we’re able to deliver a solution that withstands extreme operating conditions, particularly for military COTS, aviation and aerospace applications,” said Tom Marrapode, director of marketing, Molex. “With a common optical terminus, unique combinations of products and configurations can be easily built to customer specifications.”
Molex LumaCore optical termini-based interconnects are available in the following configurations:
· Molex LC2 Metallic Optical Connectors - provide a ruggedised, all-metal housing version of the LC Small Form Factor (SFF) family. Capable of continuous operating temperatures up to 135°C and short-term temperatures up to 150°C, these connectors are available for singlemode (SM), multimode (MM) and angle-polish (APC) applications. With minimal plastic components, there is little or no out-gassing, allowing these connectors to accommodate space and high-vacuum environments. Featuring LumaCore optical termini, these connectors resist breakage and achieve superior optical performance in extreme environments.
· Molex MXL38999 Circular Connectors - designed specifically for functionality in singlemode APC applications, the high level of design integrity enables the connector system to deliver superior optical performance across all optical fibre applications, including multimode and singlemode ultra-polish (UPC) applications. Using LumaCore optical terminus technology, MXL38999 provides a dense, optical connection with stable optical performance in harsh environments. Its unique quarter-turn retention feature allows the LumaCore terminus to be installed and removed from a connector with a simple push and turn using simple hand tools.
The following Polymicro large core optical fibres can be incorporated into Molex LumaCore interconnects:
· Polymicro HPCF Optical Fibre - ideal for data communication and process control applications in robotics, windmills, automotive/rail and avionics, its industry standard design comes available with 200µm silica core or 230µm hard polymer clad. Simple to terminate and align with a light source, these fibres service a wide temperature range of -65ºC to 135°C and are available in a variety of core/cladding configurations.
· Polymicro Rad-Hard Optical Fibre - a radiation resistant and stable solution for military and aerospace applications, rad-hard optical fibres are designed with a polyimide coating for high temperatures and low out-gassing.
· Polymicro Step-Index Fibres - includes fibres with core sizes from 50µm to 800µm used from the deep-UV to the near-IR (190 to 2400nm) for applications such as medical, industrial, astronomy, aerospace and sensors. In addition, Polymicro supplies a hollow waveguide for operation in the mid-IR (2.9 to >15µm).
Contact Details and Archive...