COMSOL releases version 5.4 and introduces two new products
09 October 2018
COMSOL announces the latest version of COMSOL Multiphysics Version 5.4, which in addition to two new products, provides performance improvements and additional modelling tools.
New COMSOL Compiler
COMSOL Compiler allows you to create standalone COMSOL Multiphysics applications. Compiled applications are bundled with COMSOL Runtime – no COMSOL Multiphysics or COMSOL Server licence required to run. You can distribute such applications with no further licence fees.
“Specialists can create simulation applications with the Application Builder that we released a few years ago. This has provided a new way for teams of engineers and scientists to bring the use of simulation to non-specialists. A little later we released COMSOL Server which is used to deploy and administrate applications via a web interface. With COMSOL Compiler we are taking things to the next level by letting specialists compile an application into a single executable file for unlimited use and distribution. This is a level of freedom that the industry has not seen before”, said Svante Littmarck, President and CEO, COMSOL.
New Composite Materials Module
“The Composite Materials Module delivers modelling tools for users working with layered materials”, said Pawan Soami, Technical Product Manager at COMSOL. “Composite laminated structures could have more than a hundred layers and setting up such a simulation is cumbersome without dedicated tools. We now offer such tools”.
By combining the Composite Materials Module with new functionality for layered shells available in the Heat Transfer Module and the AC/DC Module, users can perform multiphysics analysis such as Joule heating with thermal expansion.
“The ability to couple structural mechanics analysis in layered shells with heat transfer and electromagnetics, provides users with unique multiphysics modelling capabilities”, says Nicolas Huc, Technical Product Manager at COMSOL. An important application of multiphysics analysis in laminated materials is managing the impact of lightning strikes on wings and wind turbine blades within aerospace and wind power industries.
Enhancements to COMSOL Multiphysics and add-on products
COMSOL Multiphysics version 5.4 comes with numerous productivity improvements such as the ability to use multiple parameter sets in a model, including parametric sweeping over multiple parameter sets. Furthermore, users can now organise the Model Builder nodes into groups and assign custom colouring schemes to geometry models.
Among the various performance improvements is the updated memory allocation scheme that gives several times faster computations in the Windows 7 and 10 operating systems for computers with more than 8 processor cores.
The AC/DC Module features a new part library with fully parametric and ready-to-use coils and magnetic cores. The CFD Module comes with large eddy simulations (LES) and significantly updated modelling tools for multiphase flow.
Highlights in version 5.4
• COMSOL Compiler: For creating standalone executable applications.
• Composite Materials Module: For modelling layered materials.
• COMSOL Multiphysics: Multiple parameter nodes in the Model Builder. Group Model Builder nodes into folders. Colouring of physics and geometry selections. Several times faster solution time in the Windows 7 and 10 operating systems for computers with more than eight processor cores.
• Multiphysics: Heat transfer, electric currents, and Joule heating in thin layered structures.
• Electromagnetics: Fully parametric and ready-to-use parts for coils and magnetic cores. Structural-thermal-optical-performance (STOP) analysis for ray optics.
• Structural: Shock response spectrum analysis. Material activation for additive manufacturing.
• Acoustics: Acoustic ports. Nonlinear acoustics Westervelt model.
• Fluid flow: Large eddy simulation (LES). Fluid-structure interaction (FSI) for multiphase flow and multibody dynamics.
• Heat transfer: Heat radiation with diffuse-specular reflections and semi-transparent surfaces. Light-diffusion equation.
• Chemical: Lumped models for batteries. Updated thermodynamics interface.
• Optimisation: New topology optimisation tool.
COMSOL Multiphysics, COMSOL Server, and COMSOL Compiler software products are supported on the following operating systems: Windows, Linux, and macOS. The Application Builder tool is supported in the Windows operating system.
To browse version 5.4 release highlights, visit uk.comsol.com/release/5.4.
To download the latest version, visit uk.comsol.com/product-download.
Contact Details and Archive...