Bi-directional DC/DC converter for automotive applications
29 March 2019
Relec announce the introduction of a new Bi-Directional converter to its product range.
The Calex Bi-Directional 48S14.250BC is one of the world’s highest power density DC/DCs converter for hybrid automotive applications. It provides complete control of in-vehicle power distribution between 12V & 48V batteries (alternative voltages available on request).
A major feature of the Bi-Directional 48S14.250BC is its ability to charge a low side (12V) battery during normal operation (buck mode) as well as charging or assisting the high voltage (48V) battery in emergency situations (boost mode). When not being deployed in both buck and boost modes, the converter operates more as an ideal current source with variable direction; energy transfer is enabled between two voltage domains.
The capabilities of the 48S14.250BC are enabled via an industry standard CAN interface, which provides control of output voltages, currents (and direction) and protection circuits. It also monitors temperature and other vital parameters. The CAN interface and the integral microcontroller communicate through a high speed CAN-Transceiver (TLE7251VSJ). Both high side and low side voltages must be present within the specified range for the converter to operate.
• Default limits (minimum and maximum) for current and voltage set points, undervoltage, overvoltage and overtemperature thresholds.
• Protection features threshold is programmed via the CAN interface; must be within set limits or converter will shut down and latch.
• Industry leading efficiency and power density delivered through synchronous rectification technology, optimised thermal and mechanical design techniques.
• Diode emulation mode prevents the generation of negative currents and also provides for improved efficiencies at light loads.
• Contained in a low profile 240 x 136.4 x 18.5mm mechanically enclosed package weighing only 1.31kg: makes the converter ideal for rugged environments and can be simply integrated with the battery packs via 4 x M8 studs.
The Bi-Directional 48S14.250BC is the industry’s smallest and thinnest profile making it possible to integrate the converter into a vehicle’s battery pack, eliminating all issues associated with cabling.
Contact Details and Archive...