Gaining powerful results with Cube67 and IO-Link
28 October 2019
Proceco Integrated Cleaning Systems, a Canadian machine builder specialising in aqueous cleaning systems, chose to work with Murrelektronik because they were able to supply the best I/O system for the type of machine the company was building.
Murrelektronik’s Cube67 system with IO-Link made it much easier for Proceco to integrate different types of I/O devices while reducing the amount of wiring that was required.
Proceco was commissioned to build an automated 13 station washing system for the aerospace industry running an Allen Bradley PLC with EtherNet/IP.
• Combination of digital and analog I/O signals with some stations required to go offline while the machine process continued.
• IP address limitations due to PLC CPU
Proceco’s original I/O system concept was to use junction boxes. This would have required running power and communication cables to every station. Murrelektronik proposed a Cube67 fieldbus system because the one-cable technology packs data and signal into one main cable. Murrelektronik then suggested one IO-Link extension module per station for the 12 DIO and 4 IO-Link connections.
• Analog and RTD sensor were replaced with IO-Link versions
• IO-Link to Analog Converter used to convert an IO-Link signal to a 4-20mA output for the valve
• Extra digital signals were handled with an IO-Link Hub
Substantial savings in hardware costs and installation time were made due to eliminating analog PLC cards and the ability to use a single system cable from station to station. There was also an increase in productivity due to Machine Option Management function allowing the rest of the stations to continue running when a station needed to go offline for a tank refill. Finally, there was a major reduction in wiring due to the IO-Link Module providing the capability of connecting three types of devices to one module.
The power of Murrelektronik’s IO-Link solutions
The wide range of field bus modules: with MVK Metal, MVK Fusion, Impact67, Solid67, and Cube67 make IO-Link devices easy to implement in any application. IODD on Board saves GSDML files for the IO-Link Devices so that customers don’t need to use additional software from different manufacturers.
Expansion modules like IO-Link hubs make it easy to increase the amount of digital IO-Ports. The IO-Link to Analog Converter and IO-Link inductive coupler enable customers to create the right solution for their installation concepts. Even Murrelektronik’s IP67 power supply Emparro67 Hybrid can be controlled with IO-Link.
• Although Proceco had used our Impact67 modules before, this was their first Cube67 project. Murrelektronik Canada provided constant support throughout the project and there were no major problems.
• Murrelektronik proved to be a perfect partner for creating an IO-Link solution.
For more information, email email@example.com or telephone 0161 728 3133 to arrange a visit from an Applications Engineer to discuss how Murrelektronik’s flexible IO systems can work for you.
Contact Details and Archive...