What criteria should I consider when selecting a linear actuator?
01 April 2021
There are many types of linear actuators available on the motion control market. Which type to choose, or even where to start the selection process, can be daunting.
To help people with this process, Teknic outlines the key criteria to consider.
There are several factors to consider when narrowing down the many choices of actuators to the one that makes the most sense for your project. Here are seven of the most important factors:
1. Travel distance (short to long)
2. Maximum moving load (light to heavy)
3. Maximum velocity (slow to fast)
4. Maximum acceleration (low to high)
5. Positional accuracy (low to high)
6. Position repeatability (low to high)
7. Price (low, moderate, expensive)
Linear actuator types
After you have evaluated the requirements of your application, you can start thinking about the optimal actuator choice. Some applications are true ‘money-makers’, where little costs are spared, and throughput and uptime are paramount. These OEM type of applications have to perform well day after day, and their downtime is often measured in $/min.
Read the full article in the April issue of DPA
Contact Details and Archive...