Danfoss EC+ - boosting the efficiency of ventilation systems
06 July 2011
The Danfoss EC+ concept applies a new algorithm in the VLT HVAC drive to control permanent magnet (PM) motor driven ventilation installations. Using the voltage vector mode in the Danfoss VLT HVAC drive, the same dynamic performance and minimal losses are achievable when controlling PM motors as has always been the case with standard induction motors. Indeed, tests have proved efficiencies above 90% from drive input to motor shaft output in a large part of the speed control range.
This is a significant improvement over existing induction motor driven systems. Unlike other speed controlled, high-efficiency motor systems, the Danfoss EC+ concept allows the designer to choose the most efficient individual components, thereby ensuring the highest overall system efficiency.
In other systems there are often only a few manufacturers and a few components to be used since the design is not IEC standardised. By using the Danfoss VLT HVAC drive and a PM motor with an IEC compliant shaft, any fan wheel can be used. The VLT HVAC drive control options are also still available with a number of fieldbus options plus building management system connectivity.
The new control algorithm is integrated within the existing VLT converter series. So, after entering the relevant motor data, the user benefits straightaway in terms of high motor efficiency.
Advantages of the EC+ concept at-a-glance:
- Free choice of motor technology: PM or asynchronous with the same frequency converter
- Device installation and operation remain unchanged
- Manufacturer independence in the choice of all components
- Superior system efficiency thanks to a combination of high-efficiency individual components
- Retrofitting of existing systems is possible
- Wide range of rated powers for standard and PM motors
Contact Details and Archive...