UK- designed and manufactured low loss and semi-rigid RF and microwave cable assemblies
16 April 2020
Intelliconnect (Europe) Ltd’s team specifies, designs and manufactures RF and microwave cable assemblies, with a 2-3-week turnaround time for most projects.
Cable assemblies for high-reliability, high-frequency applications need, by definition, to be of the highest quality in terms of the cable itself, the connectors and – most importantly – the termination (assembly) of the connectors to the cable.
Intelliconnect cables can be waterproofed to IP68 and offer special features, including phase-matching and ruggedised assemblies for use in harsh environments.
Applications are very varied and include medical, satcoms, military, aerospace, space, general microwave communications, test and measurement, research, rail traction, oil and gas and marine.
“While a few applications still exist for high-volume cable assemblies, the majority are now low volume, custom designs for specialised products or systems and require close cooperation with system design engineers,” says Roy Phillips, MD of Intelliconnect.
“Such products do not suit offshore manufacture and working with a UK-based cable assembly manufacturer such as Intelliconnect has many advantages for end-users.”
The most common types of high-reliability RF cable assemblies available from Intelliconnect include:
• Conformable or Hand Formable cable assemblies which are used in applications that require the cable to be formed at the time of installation without the need for bending tools. Comprising of a tin-soaked copper braid, the cable stays in place after bending. There is no major degradation of electrical performance when cables are formed into shape and standard semi-rigid cable connectors may be used
• Low Loss phase-stable flexible microwave cable assemblies are designed to meet some of the highest specifications required by industry. Available in a variety of sizes and performance specifications, these cables can, in general use, operate up to 70GHz and beyond, and can be armoured internally or externally for rugged applications
• Semi-Rigid cables are made using a solid metal outer conductor (usually copper or aluminium) which can be bent into shape as required. Generally, overall performance figures are improved using a solid outer conductor and they are typically available in 0.047”, .085”, 0 .141” and 0.250” diameters. Standard semi-rigid cable assemblies are generally of copper construction, offer low loss, low VSWR performance, are phase stable and can be phase-matched. Phase-matching of a cable assembly is essential when connecting to multi-channel receivers as individual channels are required to match and track each other over the frequency of operation
• Semi-Flexible cables offer a lighter, more flexible alternative to Semi-Rigid types and allow the cable to be flexed. Although there is a slightly reduced performance compared with Semi-Rigid, it benefits from being able to use standard semi-rigid cable connectors and is typically available in 0.085” and 0.141” diameters
• Triaxial cables are primarily used where there is a requirement to reduce noise levels in systems and provide an isolated ground. Used extensively in medical applications, such as Radiation Detection and Dosimetry as well as Broadcast applications, Triaxial (or Triax) cable provides greater bandwidth and interference protection than Coaxial cable.
Other cable harness types include high-performance broadband, flexible, low loss LMR® cable used in applications where conventional RG cables are unsuitable, and cryogenic cables from Intelliconnect’s specialist division, CryoCoax.
Offering solutions with capabilities to withstand temperatures to 2K and below cable types include Niobium Titanium, Cupro Nickel, Stainless Steel and Beryllium Copper assemblies which operate up to 40GHz.
For more information call +44(0)1245 347145, email email@example.com or visit www.intelliconnect.co.uk
Contact Details and Archive...