Printed OLED technology from JOLED provides performance advantages
09 June 2021
Review Display Systems (RDS) has announced the availability of high performance, medium-size OLED (organic light emitting diode) displays from Japan-based display supplier JOLED.
Employing innovative printed OLED technology, JOLED displays deliver optical performance and offer blur-free image quality when displaying fast moving video sequences.
The latest printed OLED display technology from JOLED offers benefits, such as thin and lightweight display panels, enhanced colours, wide viewing angles, up to 4K (3840 x 2160 pixel) resolution, and nearly infinite contrast ratios. There are three medium size OLED panels currently available including 22”, 27” and 32” all featuring 4K resolution and an embedded DisplayPort (eDP) data interface. Also under development is a 14.0” FHD (1920 x 1080 pixel) panel.
In comparison with existing LCD display modules, printed OLED panels provide significant performance advantages in terms of contrast ratio, colour gamut, response time and luminance characteristics. Leading features of JOLED displays include:
• High contrast – contrast ratios of 1,000,000:1 enable highly saturated, deep, dark blacks and brighter whites at all viewing angles
• Enhanced colour – a colour gamut of 138% (sRGB) delivers high colour saturation and accurate colour reproduction enabling superb image quality with 10-bit colour depth
• Energy efficient – OLED is a self-illuminating emissive display technology – each individual picture element (pixel) can be switched on/off – no backlight is needed
• Ultra-thin and lightweight – display thickness is just 1.3mm due to the simple, effective panel structure, the 32” display panel weighs just 1kg
• Fast response time – typically 0.1mS, significantly faster than typical TFT LCD
• User friendly – up to 40% reduction in blue light emission
Justin Coleman, Display Product Manager, RDS said, “Supporting and supplying high performance OLED displays from JOLED represents an exciting and thrilling prospect for RDS and our customers. The state-of-the-art printed OLED technology provides truly superb image quality and outstanding optical performance. These product characteristics are ideally suited for medical monitoring, broadcast equipment and entertainment systems. We are looking forward to, and eagerly anticipating developing new business opportunities with these stunning medium-size displays.”
JOLED was established in January 2015, combining the OLED display development divisions of Sony and Panasonic, with the goal of developing and commercialising high performance printed OLED displays. The printing process developed by JOLED applies and forms OLED materials by using specialist printing techniques. This effective and efficient production process enables flexibility to produce diverse screen sizes and represents a major step forward in OLED display mass production.
RDS has recently signed a partnership agreement with JOLED to promote and market JOLED displays in the UK and Ireland. Typical applications for medium-size OLED displays from JOLED include medical monitoring equipment, professional audio visual, in-flight entertainment systems, high-end monitors, and in-vehicle displays.
Contact Details and Archive...