Han ORV3: Sustainable connectivity for IT infrastructure
29 June 2023
The global demand for digitalisation infrastructure is growing rapidly. Businesses and consumers have increased their reliance on remote computing, apps, and the Internet of Things (IoT) at a remarkable speed, and society has become significantly more dependent on tasks which require data centres.
As data centres now form the backbone of everyday operations, it’s essential that their IT infrastructure works efficiently and any system failures are repaired quickly.
Open Compute Project (OCP)
The Open Compute Project (OCP) focuses on redesigning hardware for IT infrastructures. The goal of the working group is to make data centres more efficient, more flexible, and more quickly scalable.
The project is based on an open exchange of ideas, specifications, and other intellectual property to push innovation to its limits and reduce the complexity of technical components.
In a data centre, rack power distribution units (rPDUs) provide power to IT equipment. One OCP initiative is focusing on the standardisation of these racks and their easy integration into the infrastructure of data centres.
Joint specifications for ‘power shelf’ input connectors represent an important step. As part of standardisation, HARTING has invested significant know-how in the specification of the ‘ORV3 OCP Input Power Connector’.
Improving scalability, lowering total cost of ownership (TCO)
With the Han ORV3, HARTING, for the first time, offers an OCP-compliant AC connector, which is also available as complete power shelf v3 rack cable assemblies. Shallower rack systems enable a more compact design for the entire infrastructure, meaning data centres can significantly increase their productivity within a given footprint.
As a result, HARTING’s solution supports the Open Compute Project’s goal of optimising efficiency in the construction and scaling of data centres.
The Han ORV3 for rack systems strikes a balance between standardisation requirements and the goal of achieving maximum flexibility in the configuration of cable assemblies for different current and voltage levels.
Thanks to the open standard, the Han ORV3 reduces complexity, as it consists of only a few part numbers, enabling high availability and, in cases of rack unit failures, low average repair times. Total cost of ownership (TCO) is also reduced.
The advantages of Han ORV3:
• Uses up to 50 percent less installation space in comparison with traditional rack system solutions
• Fast scalability of data centres through the modularisation of rack systems
• Easy servicing for the large numbers of components used in data centres
• Reduction in complexity by minimising part numbers (SKUs), thanks to OCP conformity (open-source system)
• Fast configuration for different current and voltage requirements
• Safe installation thanks to electric shock-protected contacts
• Increased flexibility during installation because of different termination technologies: PCB and crimp
• Available as a pre-assembled cabling solution for power distribution from one single source
Contact Details and Archive...