Sweden’s Chalmers University wins this year's Formula Student
17 July 2012
A team of students from Chalmers University of Technology in Gothenburg, Sweden has won this year’s Formula Student, the world’s largest student motorsport competition. The event, which took place in Silverstone this weekend, saw the tightest finish in its 14 year history. Chalmers beat the electric car from Delft University of Technology by just 2.4 points. Monash University, based in Melbourne, Australia, took third place.
The winning team
Chalmers’ impressive petrol car, with an imposing rear-wing aerodynamic package, took consistent top 10 positions in all of the eight events that make up the competition, winning the gruelling 22km endurance race.
Formula Student, run by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers since 1998, challenges universities from across the world to design and build an F1-style racing car in one year before racing them at Silverstone. The cars are judged on their speed, acceleration, handling and endurance, while the teams are tested on their design, costing and business presentation skills.
Around 3,000 students in 134 teams from 34 countries entered this year’s competition, making it the largest in the competition’s 14 year history. This year, for the first time, the alternative-fuel cars were pitted directly against the petrol cars. 20 electric cars took part, with Delft and Zwickau’s battery-powered racers both making the top 10.
Formula Student Top 10:
1. Chalmers University of Technology (Sweden): 850.5 points
2. Delft University of Technology (Netherlands): 848.5 points
3. Monash University (Australia): 840.7 points
4. TU Munich (Germany): 784.2 points
5. University of Stuttgart (Germany): 778.6 points
6. Tallinn University of Applied Sciences (Estonia) – 745.5 points
7. Oxford Brookes University (UK) – 718.6 points
8. UAS Amberg-Weiden (Germany) – 665.4 points
9. UAS Zwickau (Germany) – 661.5 points
10. TU Graz (Austria) – 590.5 points
Chalmers technical specifications can be found at Racecar Engineering’s Formula Student Hub